Let’s explore how games can act as vehicles for systems thinking and learning!
Our session will begin with a brief overview of gamification and game design principles, to set the stage and a common understanding of our context in learning through play.
We will then present a unique card game as the subject for a creative dissection exercise. Divergence is a design thinking card game designed by Press Start Academy with the Hong Kong Design Center, and which acts as one of the foundation experiences for Press Start Academy’s design thinking, entrepreneurship and climate leadership programs for schools and corporates.
After a quick hands-on play session, we will go through our standard debriefing linking gameplay elements with the design thinking process, before exploring the potential of the game and workshop to be tweaked depending on the learning objectives and outcomes of different scenarios.
We will close with a discussion on how experiences and curriculum should be adapted by first understanding the end goal, and a few other examples of our work in game, program and curriculum design.
– Introduction to gamification and game design principles
– Time to play Divergence!
– Debriefing 1: Experience and workshop construction approach
– Debriefing 2: Applying design principles to the classroom
– Discussions and Q&A
Upon completion of the seminar, participants would be able to:
– Discuss the importance of player motivation, creative flow and other game-based program design concepts; and
– Understand key game design principles and how gamification can be applied to education
May 2023 - 21CLBKK
Job Role Applicability:
- School Leader
- Technology Director
- Curriculum Director / Coordinator
- Head of School/Director
- Director of Professional Development
- Science / STEAM Teacher
- Design & Technology
- Middle School [Age 11 - 13]
- High School [Age 14 - 17]
- Higher Education [Age 18+]